Monday, June 9, 2014

Field Trip at The National Museum of Indonesia (Museum Nasional)

About two weeks ago I was on a field trip in an archaeology museum named The National Museum of Indonesia (Museum Nasional). The other name of it is Elephant Building (Museum Gajah), although it's not an everything-about-elephant museum. It is because of the elephant statue in its forecourt, which was given by King of Siam from Thailand. You may find further information on Wikipedia.


All of the students are divided into small groups and each group was accompanied by a tour guide. She is a member of Indonesia Heritage Society, Sara Moriarty. She led us during the trip to show some pieces of Indonesia's history. Indonesians are taught with English native speaker tour guide? I didn't mean to say anything bad but this was actually an ironic condition lol. But hey, don't get it wrong. The purpose was to encourage us speaking English for more empowering our skill, since we are English students. It was a fun moment you want to go back again.

That day was the first time I visited National Museum. I could see every things from the pre-history to the gold era. If only I had more spare time, I'd like to come again. Besides, there was also a National Library which was my favorite spot to study in high school time. I just realized the building is near the museum! xD

Spacious room for gathering before trip.

Ancient inscriptions.

Ancient compass separated from a ship.

A copy of inscription of Ciaruteun or Ciampea inscription, which is written in Pallawa and Sanskerta character, with footstep of King Purnawarman.

Click to see detail.

Ancient hand-painting.

Ethnic accessories.



Sesako, a traditional decoration behind the bed. Too big for your matress eh?

Meh, with a traditional sedan chair.

A very long woody boat.

Terracotta Piggy Bank of Majapahit kingdom.
Source: Wikipedia


My most favorite category goes to.... *drum rolls*

Arca Shiva Bhairawa (Statue of Adiyavarman as Bhairawa)
The largest artifact of the museum. It is more than 4 meters tall.
Credit: Arie Saksono

Click to see detail
Credit: Arie Saksono

The female human skeleton (Mongolid Human) from Song Keplek, buried with spatula.
I wondered why spatula.

The skull of Homo Wajakensis human plus my reflection on the glass case. Duh.

I thank Sara Moriarty for the guidance!




Another beautiful pictures you can see on this blog
The museum also has official website www.museumnasional.or.id

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate comments and questions. Thank you so much :-)